Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Ann Howell Goes Shopping: Part 2

One of the perks of living in a small rural town is the abundance of thrift and antique shops, especially ones that are often "under the radar" and less-frequented. This usually means more unique treasures, and I've scored some pretty amazing finds (you can read more about my previous shopping trips here!)

So, faced with a rainy, dreary weekend, I went thrifting. Here's what I purchased:



An awesome old wooden pepsi crate. I love the faded paint and block letters...



I'm thinking this will hold all my various jars of paint brushes, pencils, ink pens, markers, etc. (and maybe keep them from getting knocked over so often).



A Quality American Snuff jar!!!!!!!! I loved the solid, heavy feel of the glass jar, and the fact that it had a lid. Still debating what to store in this... ideas?



LOTS of solid wood frames in various shapes and sizes (this was actually the goal of this thrifting trip -- to find frames for some exciting new art pieces! Stay tuned for shop updates later this week:) I found some neat square-shape frames, and I'm excited to see how they fit in to my art, since I typically work with rectangular bases and frames.

Here's what I saw, but DIDN'T buy:

Lovely

A stunning chandelier. Sigh... one day...

Vintage Italian painted box… #thrifting

Painted vintage Italian boxes.

Sparkly vintage purse #thrifting

Sparkly sequined party purse.


Framed hairy dog with blue bows portrait. That thing was like $229!!!!!!!!!!

I'm curious -- what's your take on thrifting? Does the prospect of sifting through old things of varying quality and states of disrepair seem time-consuming and daunting, or is this the one and only way to shop for treasures?

As always, more photos on Tumblr and Instagram, if you're curious. :)

[All photos and content by Ann Howell Brown, 2013]

No comments:

Post a Comment